Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup
T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon
1 Pound Italian Sausage, sliced in quarters 1/2 inch thick
1 c Yellow Onion, diced
1 t Minced Garlic
1 c Carrots, sliced thin
1 1/2 t Fresh Basil Leaves, packed and chopped
1/2 t Oregano, flakes
4 each Roma Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
8 oz. can Tomato Sauce
1/2 c Burgundy or other dry red cooking wine
5 1/2 c Beef Broth
1 cup Zucchini, quartered and sliced
1 cup Yellow Squash (summer squash) , quartered and sliced
1/2 pound Cheese Tortellini
3 T Fresh Parsley, chopped for garnish
Parmesan for garnish
- In an appropriate size pot with a heavy bottom, brown sausage, remove and drain.
- Saute onion, garlic and carrots in sausage drippings.
- Stir in basil, oregano, and roma tomatoes, mix well.
- Stir in tomato sauce, red wine and beef broth, mixing well after each addition.
- Return Italian sausage to pot.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Skim any fat from soup, stir in zucchini and yellow squash and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, cook tortellini according to package directions and add to soup.
Top each bowl with a sprinkle of Parmesan and parsley.